We are Here to Support Your Needs!
Dear Families of West Rock and Eastview Terrace,
Solar Youth is committed to providing you with support during this unprecedented time of change.
Therefore, we are working on three initiatives:
- Access of FREE LUNCHES, within neighborhoods.
- After-School opportunities for children ages 5 through 18
- Opening Community Learning Hubs (Day long program supporting remote schooling)
Below are MORE DETAILS on each effort.
These are all in the DEVELOPMENT PROCESS, and we want your input. If you are interested in ANY of these services, REGISTER INTEREST HERE
Lunch, Munch & Fun!
The Lunch Program has been a success to date with the number of school lunches being delivered to families growing everyday. We have arranged to pick up lunches at schools and bring them TO THE NEIGHBORHOODS. If interested in receiving lunches as many others, REGISTER INTEREST HERE, and we will be in touch soon with details
After School ACTIVE FUN
Our children need NON-SCREEN opportunities for physical activity, and stress-free FUN. We have been developing programs to engage youth ages 5 to 13 in outdoor, fun activities - following rules of social distancing and COVID-19. We are currently looking to start up After School Programs within the next couple of weeks.
REGISTER INTEREST HERE as soon as possible.
Community Learning Hubs
Learning Hubs are safe places where small groups of children can attend for the entire school day to receive support with remote learning. Hubs (opening throughout the city) support families who need to work, who are challenged by the demands of remote learning, and who want their kids to have a SAFE SPACE to connect with their peers and helpful adults.
- Each group of youth will be no more than 10 with up to 2 staff.
- Strict health and safety guidelines will be followed, in accordance with the CDC, City and State
- Staff will support children with transitions, technology, and school work
- Kids will have activities and help during screen breaks
- Free Lunch (and possibly breakfast)
- Staying in small groups, children will also have opportunities for physical activity and no-screen FUN!
IN WEST ROCK, the City of New Haven has allowed us to use the West Rock Nature Center (located a short hike through the forest, or drive up Wintergreen Avenue). There we hope to serve 20 to 30 children. However, the Nature Center will not be able to hold any programming in the coming months.
IN EASTVIEW TERRACE, we are requesting that Elm City Communities allow us to use the Community Building at XXX Eastern Street.
In New Haven, their is a need for Learning Hubs and some are already active. If looking for more information about the Learning Hubs please visit https://www.nhvlearninghubs.net/
IF INTERESTED IN ENROLLING IN ANY OF THE SOLAR YOUTH PROGRAMS, ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.